Monday, July 16, 2012

Mendeley instead of Endnote

I recently switched from using Endnote to Mendeley. There were several reasons behind this:
  • It must be platform-independent. I have to work on an Apple Mac at work, and I enjoy working on my Windows 7 system at home, with occasional explorations into the Linux world. Writing a paper or a thesis and inserting references has to be possible on all 3 operating systems.
  • It must be software-independent. It should not matter if I am writing on Word, OpenOffice or in LateX, references have to be easy to integrate.
  • It must sync between different machines. 
I eventually stumbled upon Mendeley on the PLoS ONE website of my first paper where it was mentioned in the right sidebar. And bingo, there was a usable piece of referencing software!

Advantages

  • It integrates into Word, OpenOffice and Bibtex, runs on Windows, Mac OS and Linux. I can't say anything about the performance in long documents with hundreds of references yet, but once my thesis is redone I will create a version with Mendeley references
  • Mendeley synchronises the references between different machines. The free plan includes 1 GB of storage, which is enough for about 1000 references for me (with the odd badly digitized 5 MB PDF among more modern an smaller ones). 
  • Unlike Endnote it is very good at finding document information from DOI addresses provided nowadays by all journals on their websites. It has some trouble though with recognizing them in some documents (PNAS, I'm looking at you!).
  • It has also its own Chrome/ Chromium extension for easier import of websites and documents into the Mendeley library.

Problems

  • Mendeley is, compared to Papers2, quite bad at reading the essential information out of a PDF file. It regularly fails to find the abstract in an automatically imported PDF.
  • The software  is not open source, so development might stop at any moment due to financial trouble. Or prices might rise so quickly so high that I might have to hunt for yet another reference management system. 
But there is a nice way around the freemium system: Dropbox. I already have it, it synchronises files between computers on Mac OS, Windows and Linux (what I am looking for!) and there are quite often promotions to expand one's storage size without having to pay for it. Even the initial 2 GB free storage should be sufficient for quite an extensive library, about 2,000 references by my guess. Oh, and someone else has already done it before me, so there are actually some instructions on what to do already out there. There are some problems though, and often checks for duplicates are recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment